Thursday, March 24, 2011

On Reading Blogs...

I'm not sure where the title went/goes for this blog. I'd like something bigger. Perhaps I'd like it to say "Pollie Ponders" again. Maybe I'm ready to bring Pollie Ponders back and go bigger. It used to be just for my little circle of contacts and was quite intimate. Can it still be intimate and be bigger? Why do people even read blogs? I read mostly because I'm addicted to them. I'm fascinated by how good they can look, by how creative people can be and sometimes just because of the stories or information people are sharing.
I actually use Google Reader to read blogs. (It's easy to use. Go to the Google home page and you'll find it there in that list along the top left--or you might need to click on more to see it in the list.)



That picture is a shot of my screen. Look at that. Shannon Vine has a new blog post. This is how my Google Reader looks. I love that my favourites are all in one place. I can go to this Google Reader page to see who's updated their blogs. The left side lists all my blogs. I can sort them into categories (which I haven't totally done yet). The bolded blogs are the ones with updates. In the center, I can read snippets of each new post and I can click on the title to go read the full post or just skip it. (Of course I read them all as every good time waster/procrastinator/webjunkie/avid reader should!).

There's another faster way to read through them too! I have a little "next" icon on my Explorer task bar that I simply click on to see the next blog with an update. I'm subscribed to probably 100 blogs. Crazy, huh? Some are writing. Some are scrapbooking. Some are home decor. Some are commercial. Some are people I know. Some I should probably unsubscribe from because they say nothing pertinent to me.

I just happen to love blogs. Here's a few of my favourites:
Sweet Paul - a beautiful home decor/lifestyle magazine online AND free

Dispatch from LA - this woman speaks to me. I found her blog randomly, I think in a magazine and I just love it. I loved her tales of visiting Istanbul so much that it's now on my list of places to visit.

The Art of Doing Stuff - there's a lot I'll never do here but some pretty cool things just the same.

The Kitchn - so many posts on here and I've saved so many recipes. I love, love, love this one!

Graphic 45 - example of a commercial blog that is pretty appealing--okay, maybe just for scrapbookers but appealing nevertheless.
Okay, that's enough for now. I really need to get back to pondering these income tax papers, not pondering on here. And you. You'll be mad at me for providing you with these sites and distracting you from your business.

So have a great day--and take some time on the net. It's the best.

Till next time,
Pollie

No comments: