Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hash Brown Casserole!



I've had this recipe for a while but finally decided to try it and I have to say it is so, so good! Here's a slightly healthier version but you could do it with regular cheese, regular sour cream and two cans of regular soup--chicken, mushroom or celery! I also saw one recipe that had a stick of butter in it. Mmmm! Comfort food or what?

2 pounds frozen hashed brown potatoes, thawed

1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
8 ounces lite dairy sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup (99% fat free)
1/2 cup crushed bran cereal

Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with non-stick spray coating. Add thawed potatoes, onion and pepper. Combine cheese, sour cream and soup; stir into potato mixture. Sprinkle crushed cereal over the top. Bake covered at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.

149 calories, 5 grams fat, 29% calories from fat, 12 milligrams cholesterol, 357 milligrams sodium

This is excellent for those times when you want to throw dinner in the oven. I did this with a meatloaf (something I rarely make). The recipe was from Kraft Canada's website and it has a box of Stovetop Stuffing in it--something else I rarely use--but really good and so quick to prep.

Do let me know if you try it!

~Pollie



No comments: